- Computers, televisions, printers, scanners, smoke detectors and mobile phones
- Gas bottles and fire extinguishers
- Fluorescent globes and tubes
- Household and car batteries
- Motor and other oils
- Scrap metal – includes whitegoods mostly made of metal like microwaves, washing machines, dryers and dishwashers
- Fridges and freezers
- Cardboard, paper and mixed recyclables that won’t fit into your yellow bin
- Sporting goods
- Two free bulky green waste collections per year. Green waste will need to be transported by residents to the collection points which will be provided throughout our City. Collections will be held in the summer months to promote hazard reduction during the bushfire season
- Free cardboard and mixed recyclables collection following Christmas with collection points throughout our City.
- Gas bottles
- Fire extinguishers
- Fluorescent globes and tubes
- Car batteries
- Household batteries
- Motor oils
- Other oils
- Smoke detectors
What changes are proposed to the Pensioner Concession Cardholders fee exemption?
The current fee exemptions for mixed general waste and green waste received at the Wollongong Waste and Resource Recovery Park (WWRRP) will be removed from 1 July 2021.
Enhanced services will remain in place. These services are free, available to all residents and go beyond our usual home waste collections
What free waste services will be available to Pensioner Concession Cardholders?
Kerbside bulky waste pick-ups
All residents, including Pensioner Concession Cardholders, have access to two kerbside bulky waste pick-ups per year as property owners, through their Strata Manager or landlord
These collections can be booked by contacting Remondis on 1300 362 360 or by booking online at http://wollongongwaste.com.au/On-Call-Household-Cleanup-Service
Household problem waste
Residents are able to drop off the following problem wastes at the Community Recycling Centre located at the WWRP without charge:
Unwanted household items
Residents are able to drop off the following unwanted household items at the Revolve located at the WWRRP without charge *subject to staff
Enhanced waste services
All residents will be entitled to:
The enhanced services will be provided at multiple locations and dates throughout the City which will make it easier for all residents to drop off green waste, cardboard and mixed recyclables.
Chemical Clean-out events
Residents are able to drop off household quantities of problem waste at two household chemical clean-out events per year. Items accepted include:
Why are these changes being made?
Unfortunately waste that is disposed of for free is not usually sorted and therefore most ends up in landfill.
This does not meet the NSW Government requirements for Councils to divert material from landfill, reduces the life of the landfill, increases the Waste Levy paid to the NSW Government and increases odour and methane emissions.
The changes aim to encourage our customers to sort items so these can be reused or recycled.
How will the proposed changes benefit our community if adopted by Council?
It is expected that more material will be sorted so that only material that cannot be reused or recycled will be placed into landfill.
This will increase the life of the landfill, reduce odour, reduce methane emissions and reduce fees paid to the NSW Government.