As the weather heats up there are several things you can do to ensure your green waste and FOGO bins don’t develop an unpleasant odour.
- Your FOGO kitchen caddy should be kept out of the sun.
- To minimise flies and odours try emptying your kitchen caddy each day.
- Tie a knot in the end of the compostable bag before placing into your green bin.
- If possible, keep your green bin stored in a shady ventilated area. This helps slow decomposition which keeps smells at a minimum.
- In addition to using compostable bags, you can wrap meat scraps and bones in newspaper, paper towel, letterbox brochures or pantry cardboard.
- Ensure the lid on your bin remains shut and has no cracks or splits in the lid or bin. Please ring Remondis on 1300 362 360 for free repair or replacement.
- Try to hose your bin out every few weeks, or consider rinsing the inside with lemon juice, baking soda or vinegar.
- Layering your food scraps among your garden material and freezing scraps until bin day can also be helpful.
Consultation has concluded