What is a road closure?

    A road any area of land that has been set aside by legislation for the use of the travelling public. Whole or portions of public roads can be closed by Council by following the statutory process under the Roads Act 1993.

    Who can apply to close a road?

    Anyone can apply to close a public road, however generally, only adjoining landowners will be successful in their application.  This is because there are likely to be objections from adjoining owners to anyone else applying

    How long does a road closure take and how much does it cost?

    Generally, it takes 18 – 24 months for a road closure to be completed, depending on issues raised during the process.

    For road closure fees, see the Fees and Charges on Council’s website

    In addition to compensation payable for the land, any other fees that may be incurred during the road closure will be the responsibility of the applicant.

    What consultation does Council undertake?

    Council is obliged under the Roads Act 1993 to consult with all owners of land adjoining the road, all notifiable authorities such as Sydney Water, Endeavour Energy etc and any other owners whom Council considers may be significantly affected by the road closure.  Council also advises the relevant Neighbourhood Forum.

    Council’s process is to advertise details of the road closure under consideration in the Wollongong Advertiser allowing 28 days for submissions from any member of the public. 

    What happens after the public consultation?

    If there are objections which cannot be overcome, the road closure will not proceed.

    If no objections are received or any received can be satisfactorily addressed, a report is prepared to the next available Ordinary Meeting of Council seeking approval to the closure.

    What happens after a road is closed?

    Generally, after a road is closed, the land is sold to the adjoining landowner for addition to their existing property.  The landowner can treat the additional land in the same way as their own property, including fencing.