- Additional parking.
- A pedestrian footpath on the eastern side of the carpark.
- Improved parking access for aged and disabled patrons.
- Improved lighting and signage.
- Better access to the central parking through a new T intersection.
- Installation of traffic calming devices to improve road safety.
- Realignment of the existing shared use zone to improve pedestrian/cycleway safety.
- Drainage improvements and tree planting to enhance the park.
- Heritage and environmental concerns.
- Community safety and security.
- Maximising parking availability and accessibility.
- Pedestrian/Cycle safety and traffic calming.
- Retaining and enhancing existing park character – lighting, drainage and shade considerations.
Why are these improvements needed?
Stuart Park is a key tourist destination and a popular venue for a range of community events. The area is subject to high usage particularly during the summer months. Council is seeking to improve pedestrian safety/access and to better manage the demand for parking within the park.
What improvements are proposed?
How are these improvements connected to broader community planning?
What has been taken into account during the design of this improvement project?
How long will the project take?
The work will be completed as quickly as possible and will be scheduled to occur after the busy summer period from autumn through to spring during 2015 to ensure minimal disruption to community usage.
Will the access road be closed during the work?
The access road will not be completely closed during the project. There will be periods of partial closure i.e. one lane will be closed to traffic with traffic control in place. Current parking on the eastern side of the access road should not be affected.
Will there be more parking once the work is completed?
Yes there will 50 additional parking spaces once the improvement project is completed, four of which will be designated for equal access parking.
Will there be any changes to the current parking regulations?
Current parking regulations for the eastern side will be applied to the western side. It should be noted that this area stipulates no parking between 9pm and 5am.
Are there any other relevant projects underway in the park?
Stuart Park playground is currently due for replacement. This project is currently at the concept design stage with work due to commence in early 2015.
If I have further questions or suggestions about this improvement project, how can I comment?
Written feedback can be posted to: