Why do we need an overland flow study?

    Many homes and businesses in the Kully Bay catchment experience frequent flooding from overland flow. Overland flow is rainfall runoff from homes, driveways and other surfaces. This photo shows an example of overland flow:

    Results from the study will help us to better understand and plan for future flooding in the catchment. You can view the overland flow study report in the Document Library, at the drop-in information session, or at Warrawong Library.

    What happens next?

    After we’ve completed the overland flow study, we’ll begin a Floodplain Risk Management Study and Plan to look at what the risks/damages from floods might be and what we could do to mitigate (reduce) those risks. Then we’ll roll out the Plan! Every 5-10 years, we go back to the beginning of this process and start with a review of the overland flow study to consider new survey data, policy changes, recent major flood events and changes in the catchment such as flood mitigation works or new development.

    Do the maps in the draft report show the flood levels for my property?

    There are hundreds of individual properties in this catchment. The scale of these maps mean that it is difficult to find individual properties and see what the estimated flood levels might be.  Sometimes you can get a better look by opening the maps on a computer and zooming in to the area where your property is, however you’re just looking at the estimated levels for broad areas of the catchment rather than specific levels for individual properties. The flood levels shown are an estimate, not exact, as it’s not possible to accurately predict exact future flood levels for any location. The report is also a draft, which means some information may be updated before the Study is finalised. To understand how floods might affect your specific property, you may need to get a qualified consultant and/or surveyor to do a detailed assessment of your land and/or property.

    Where can I get information about flood levels on my property?

    Council has historical flood level records and/or our completed flood studies for some properties, but not all. Please contact our Customer Service team on (02) 4227 7111 to find out what’s available for your property.

    How does Council manage flood risk?

    Each year, Council spends millions of dollars on stormwater and floodplain management. Our team of flood experts prepare flood studies and floodplain risk management studies that help us understand the flood behaviour for a catchment and see if there are any ways of reducing flooding risk in an area. 
    Floodplain risk management studies include a plan of potential solutions aimed at reducing the existing and future flood risk. Examples of these solutions include: 

    • Emergency response plans based on detailed understanding of flood behaviour
    • Building new structures that collect and carry stormwater into drains or creeks, such as detention basins and swales, or improving existing ones to better manage stormwater and floods 
    • Land zoning that says what can and can’t be built on flood-prone land
    • Voluntary purchase of houses built in high flood risk areas 

    Why doesn’t Council clear out creeks?

    Council is responsible for maintaining watercourses (e.g. creeks, overflow paths or drainpipes) on Council-owned land and has a maintenance program for this. Most watercourses in our city are on private property and their maintenance is the responsibility of the land owner. In these cases, Council is unable to perform any work on the watercourse. If you need advice on maintaining watercourses, please contact our Customer Service team on (02) 4227 7111. 

    I don’t understand English. Is there a service that can help?

    There are services you can use to help you understand this information if you find it hard to communicate in English. 

    Language aides are people who work at Council and can speak languages other than English. They are not professional interpreters, but can help customers who are dealing with Council. We currently have language aides for:

    • AUSLAN (sign)
    • Macedonian
    • Croatian
    • Mandarin
    • Greek
    • Polish
    • Indonesian
    • Serbian
    • Italian
    • Turkish
    There is no cost to use our language aides. Please ask us if you’d like a language aide to help you.

    You can use the Australian Government’s Translating and Interpreting Service to deal with Council in languages other than English. To phone Council using this service, call 13 14 50 and ask them to connect you to Wollongong City Council on (02) 4227 7111. For more information, visit www.tisnational.gov.au. 

    How will my feedback be used?

    At the end of the engagement period, all feedback is read and considered. A report will be produced and provided to Councillors, and they will consider whether to adopt the Study.

    How can I join the conversation?

    Write: Locked Bag 8821, Wollongong DC 2500 
    Phone: (02) 4227 7111        
    Drop-in Information Session:
    Saturday 7 September 10am – 11:30am
    Warrawong Community Centre
    7-9 Greene Street, Warrawong  

    You can also submit feedback using the online form.